Monday, September 27, 2010

Meat Locker #1: Roadkill Retread

I've decided to do a regular column about my (and my teammates) experiences in roller derby, which I'm calling "The Meat Locker."

Yes, I know about the derogatory alternative use of this phrase, but I'll be damned if I'll let a few misogynistic douches who might use it that way own the term. 

Anyways, some details: I'm "Roadkill" - current fresh meat for The Hellions of Troy roller derby league. I've been on skates for a total of about 2 months. Before that, I skated maybe 2-3 times in my life.  Needless to say, in the first couple practices I was a bit unsteady on my (rented) wheels. I fell down A LOT, and I think that may have played a part in the meat name I was given... :-)

I can say this with authority: confidence plays a HUGE roll in how you do in practice. If you're new to skating or even just to roller derby, most of the positions and drills will feel very awkward at first. You are using muscles that most other sports just don't use. I run on a regular basis and am in decent shape overall, but I was (and still am, only less so) totally out of derby shape!  Did I say I fell A LOT yet? :-)

But I believed in myself; I knew with practice and hard work, I'd pick it up evetually. The coaches and vets are also very supportive, so that helped! So my "game" has seen vast improvements. I still have a long ways to go, but I'll get there.

My hope is to bring some of the excitement I feel in playing this sport to these posts, so I hope you'll follow along. Lots more to come about the game, the struggles and strategy, the after-parties, and I also plan to snag some of my fellow meat for interviews and their own thoughts. Stay tuned!

No comments: