Thursday, April 10, 2008

2.0 addiction?

If, like me, you follow lots of the leading web 2.0 and library 2.0 bloggers, and read their conference entries and Tweets, your head is constantly swimming with all the cool applications and possible uses for them in providing lib services and organizing your life and just plain having fun. It's also great that this allows me to get something out of conferences (like the recent CIL) that I couldn't attend (because I'm going to the Off Campus Lib Services Conf in UT in 2 weeks!).

But in reading all about CIL presentations the last few days and how 2.0 issues seem to dominate, it got me thinking: is it possible that because 2.0 (and beyond) is the cutting edge and conference presenters, of course, always want to be perceived as on that edge, that we're making a bit too much out of it? Are non-2.0 presentations being ignored or just not even thought of? In other words, is the fact that our conferences are now totally dominated by 2.0 gadgetry and lists of free apps, and ways to use these apps, making us put too many of our eggs into the 2.0 basket? Is it making us spend more of our time and resources than might normally be prudent in such a fast-changing and unstable technical environment?

I certainly don't have any answers, but I like pondering such questions on occasion, even if I am neck deep in 2.0 apps myself...

No comments: